Apple & potato bhajee
- Rating: 4 stars
- Takes: 10 mins
- Serves: 4
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- a pinch of fenugreek seeds (approximately 8-10 seeds)
- ¼tsp mustard seeds
- ½tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp coriander seeds, roasted and crushed
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 5 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 potatoes, boiled, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 large tomato deseeded and diced
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- sugar, to taste
- 1tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- salt, to taste
Each serving contains 160 calories, 13g sugar, 6g fat, 0.7g saturates and 1.3g salt.
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan until hazy. Add the fenugreek seeds; then 10 seconds or so later, add the mustard seeds. When they stop crackling, add the cumin
and crushed coriander seeds and stir for 1⁄2 minute. Add the green chillies and sauté for a further 1⁄2 minute, then add the spring onions and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Toss in the apples and potatoes and add the tomato, cooking for a further 2–3 minutes and tossing occasionally. As soon as the apples soften slightly check the seasoning and, if required, add a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of sugar and salt, to taste.
Sprinkle in the coriander, toss all the ingredients together and remove from the heat. Serve immediately.