Classic beef stroganoff
- Rating: 4 stars
- Takes: 15 mins to prepare and 30 mins to cook
- Serves: 4
- 500g (1lb 2oz) - Beef fillet cut into strips
- 4tbsp - Worcestershire sauce
- garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tbsp - sunflower oil
- 50g (2oz) - butter
- onions, chopped
- 150g (5oz) - Shiitake mushrooms, sliced, optional
- 250g (9oz) - close cup mushrooms, sliced, optional
- 5tbsp - reduced beef stock
- 3tbsp - Cognac
- 150ml (1/4pt) - double cream
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 4 tbsp - soured cream
- pinch - paprika
Season the meat with salt and pepper. Put into a shallow bowl with the Worcestershire sauce and crushed garlic. Cover and marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
Heat the oil in a large pan, over a high heat and quickly brown the meat. Remove the meat and set aside. Pour over any juices from the pan.
Melt the butter in the pan, add the onions and fry gently until soft. Add the mushrooms to the onions and fry until soft.
Return the meat to the pan with the juices and stock and pour over the cognac. Immediately set alight, shake and let the alcohol burn itself out.
Stir in the double cream and as soon as it is hot, add the lemon juice.
Season to taste and sprinkle with paprika.
To serve: mix through the sour cream to form ribbons through the sauce.
Serve with boiled white and wild rice and rocket.