Gluten-free victoria sponge cake
- Rating: 4 stars
- Takes: 10 mins to prepare and 40 mins to cook, 20 mins to cool
- Serves: 12
- 200g (7oz) butter or dairy-free spread, if you want the cake to be dairy free
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar or light muscovado sugar
- 4 small or 3 medium eggs
- 200g (7oz) Doves Farm gluten and wheat-free white self-raising flour blend
- sieved raspberry or other good jam
- 1tsp icing sugar
Each serving contains 270 calories, 17g sugar, 16g fat, 9g saturates and 0.5g salt.
Heat the oven to 180°C/350F/Gas mark 4.
Beat the butter or spread with the sugar in an electric mixer for 3-5 minutes or until it is light and fluffy. One-at-a-time lightly beat in the eggs with a tablespoon of flour then fold in the rest of the flour. Oil a loose 15cm (6inch) or 20cm (8 inch) cake tin (depending on whether you want your cake to be small and high or larger and flatter) or, if you do not have a loose-bottomed tin, line it with oiled greaseproof paper. Spoon the mixture into the tin and tap the cake tin gently a few times on the counter top to flatten out the top.
Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes and then remove from the tin onto a rack and allow to cool completely. When the cake is cold, carefully cut it in half horizontally and spread a thick layer of jam over the bottom section. Carefully replace the top section and, using a sieve, sprinkle the top with icing sugar.
See more Gluten-free recipes