Japanese style pickles
- Rating: 5 stars
- Takes: 5 mins + 6hrs marinating time (overnight)
- Serves: Makes 1 x 380g jar of pickles
- ½ cucumber, deseeded and cut into 5cm long batons
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced lengthways
- 200ml (⅓ pint) rice wine vinegar
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- pinch salt
Each serving contains 340 calories, 72g sugar, 1g fat, 0.2g saturates and 5g salt.
In a small pan heat together the rice wine vinegar, sugar and pinch salt until the sugar has melted.
Arrange the prepared vegetables in a clean 380ml / ¾ lb preserving jar and pour over the hot pickling liquid. Put on the lid and leave to cool, then refrigerate. The pickles can be eaten the next day.