Simnel loaf cake
- Rating: 4 stars
- Takes: 20 mins to prepare and 1 hr 40 mins to cook
- Serves: 10
- 200g (7oz) butter, at room temperature
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 350g (12oz) self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 250g (8oz) sultanas
- 100g (3½oz) mixed peel
- 150g (5oz) glacé cherries
- 1tsp mixed spice plus a good grating of nutmeg
- 150g (5oz) almond marzipan, cubed
- 60g (2½oz) flaked almonds
- 3tbsp apricot jam
- icing sugar, to dust (optional)
Each serving contains 652 calories, 68g sugar, 28g fat, 11.8g saturates and 0.8g salt.
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3, 160ºC, fan 140ºC. Butter and double line a 2lb loaf tin. Beat the butter, sugar, flour and eggs together. Mix the citrus zest and juice with the dried fruit and glacé cherries, then add these to the dough mixture, along with spices, and stir until combined.
Spoon half the mixture into the tin and sprinkle the marzipan cubes over the top. Spoon over the rest of the mixture and level the top. Sprinkle on the almonds and bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes or until cooked through. Test this by putting in a skewer; it should come out clean.
Cool in the tin, then carefully turn out and remove the paper. Heat the apricot jam with a little water and sieve out any lumps, then drizzle over the almonds. Dust with a little icing sugar if you like.