Spinach, mushroom and squash lasagne
- Rating: 5 stars
- Takes: 20 mins to prepare and 1 hr 50 mins to cook
- Serves: 6
- 1kg squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2tbsp olive oil or walnut oil
- ¼ freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 250ml tub reduced-fat crème fraiche
- 300ml hot vegetable stock (made up from 1tbsp liquid bouillion)
- ground black pepper
- 500g ready-to-use spinach leave
- 6 sheets fresh egg lasagne
- 75g stilton cheese, crumbled
- 50g mozzarella, torn into pieces
Each serving contains 390 calories, 14.5g sugar, 13.4g fat, 5.8g saturates and 1.4g salt.
Heat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/Gas Mark 6.
Put the squash in a roasting tin, drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle over the nutmeg. Roast for 30 minutes until soft.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onions for 3 minutes over a gentle heat, then add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add the mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Spoon in the crème fraîche and pour in the stock, stir and simmer for 15 minutes until the liquid is reduced to a creamy consistency. Season.
Pierce a couple of holes in the bag of spinach and microwave according to the pack instructions. Alternatively, empty into a pan, cover and cook until wilted. Drain in a colander and press to remove excess liquid. Crush the squash with a potato masher.
Spread a thin layer of the mushroom sauce over the base of a large, shallow, ovenproof dish (30x20cm/12x8in) and top with 2 sheets of lasagne. Spoon half the squash over the lasagne. Sprinkle over half the spinach, then half of the remaining mushroom sauce. Top with 2 more sheets of lasagne and repeat the squash and spinach layer. Top with 2 more lasagne sheets and a final layer of mushroom sauce. Sprinkle over both the cheeses.
Cover with greased foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for a further 30 minutes, until the topping is golden and bubbling. Serve immediately.
See more vegetarian recipes