British bakes don't get much more retro than the Cherry Bakewell tart. Why not try our exciting spin on this classic, reinventing it as moreish cookies, topped with flaked almonds and jewelled glacé cherries, for a gorgeous afternoon treat?
- Heat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Line 2 large baking trays with nonstick baking paper.
- Beat the sugar, oil, eggs and almond extract until combined. Sift in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Then stir in the ground almonds until the mixture is just combined.
- Roll heaped tbsps of the dough into even balls and put on the lined baking trays, leaving enough space between each ball for spreading. Gently flatten each one with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 14 mins, or until puffed and golden. Leave to cool on the trays for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack.
- Once completely cool, spread a teaspoon of cherry conserve over each biscuit. Then scatter with the toasted almonds.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with 2-3 teaspoons of cold water, until you have a thick but runny paste. Drizzle over the biscuits and top with half a glacé cherry and a dusting of icing sugar.
See more Easy baking recipes