Sourdough, apple and sage stuffing
A twist on a classic Christmas side dish this festive stuffing combines juicy cox apples with warming nutmeg, aromatic sage and hearty sourdough. This easy recipe is sure to make your Christmas dinner extra special.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat. Add the onion and fry for about 5-6 minutes, until soft. Add the chopped sage for the final two minutes of the cooking time.
- Put the bread slices into a food processer and blitz to a medium-fine crumb. Tip into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, softened onion, grated apple and nutmeg to the mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. The texture should be wet but not too mushy. Spoon the mixture into a 1 litre (1 3/4pt) ovenproof dish and brush with a little more melted butter. Bake for 30 minutes until the top is a light golden brown colour.
- Heat a little extra butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the whole sage leaves for 1 minute. Put on top of the cooked stuffing to garnish.
See more Christmas side dishes
View full recipe details