How to cook a poached egg
Want to learn to cook a brunch classic at home? Here’s 5 top tips for making the perfect poached egg.
1. Make sure your eggs are fresh, as this will help them hold their shape as they cook (egg white gets thinner as the egg gets older).
2. If you’re a novice, crack your egg into a small bowl or mug first to make it easy to quickly tip into the water.
3. Add a touch of vinegar to the pan – this helps the egg white firm faster, giving you the perfect golden runny yolk.
4. Stir the water to create a whirlpool before adding the egg – this will help the white wrap more neatly around the yolk.
5. Keep the water at a gentle simmer – if it is a strong rolling boil, the egg will get knocked around too much,
Once you’ve got the perfect egg, use to top toast, waffles or even add to a bowl of soup.