Vegan aubergine and red pepper lasagne
Lasagne is always a family favourite, and this vegan version is sure to be no different. With a hearty aubergine and red pepper filling, plus a creamy white sauce, you won’t miss the meat or dairy in this pasta feast.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan and fry half the aubergine until golden. Transfer to a plate while you repeat with another 1 tbsp oil and the remaining aubergine.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and add the onion and red pepper. Fry for 5 mins until softened. Add the garlic, chilli and thyme and cook for 2 mins, stirring regularly.
- Add the aubergine back into the pan along with the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar, vinegar and a splash of water. Simmer for 10 mins until thickened, then season to taste.
- Meanwhile, make the white sauce. Put the milk and the onion half in a saucepan and gently heat until just bubbling. Remove the onion and set the milk aside.
- Melt the spread in a separate saucepan, then stir in the flour until you have a smooth paste. Slowly pour in the warm milk, stirring well as you go, until smooth. Continue to simmer very gently for 8-10 mins, stirring often to prevent it sticking, until you have a thick sauce. Finally, stir in the yeast extract and mustard.
- Spoon a third of the aubergine sauce into the bottom of a deep baking dish, arrange a third of the pasta sheets in a layer over the top (snapping pieces to fill in any gaps) then spoon over a third of the white sauce. Repeat with the remaining sauces and pasta to create 2 more layers, finishing with a layer of white sauce. Bake for 50 mins or until golden and bubbling.
Tip: If serving to vegan guests, double check that the lasagne pasta sheets are egg-free.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Reheat until piping hot.
See more Vegan recipes
View full recipe details