Learn how to make a homemade margarita pizza from scratch with our easy recipe made with tomato sauce and mozzarella. If you're having pizza for dinner, make sure you get ahead by making the dough earlier in the day.
- Put the yeast into a small jug and pour in 380ml of warm water. Leave to stand for 5 mins until the yeast starts to react.
- Mix the flours and salt together and make a well. Pour in the water/yeast mix, plus the oil and bring the dough together with a wooden spoon, then use your hands. The dough will be very sticky but try to avoid adding extra flour as this will affect the end result.
- If you have a stand mixer, use a dough hook to knead the dough for 5 mins on a medium speed. If you are kneading by hand, use a little flour on the surface and knead for 10 mins until the dough is springy and a little firmer.
- Put a small drizzle of oil into a large clean bowl and add the dough. Cover with clingfilm and leave to rise for 2-3 hrs or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, mix the passata, oregano and oil together and season with salt and pepper. Halve the mozzarella balls and set them aside.
- When the dough has risen, preheat the oven to gas 9, 240°C, fan 220°C. Put a baking tray on a high shelf to heat up. Knock the dough back and shape into 4 equal pieces. While you work on the first piece of dough, lightly cover the remaining pieces of dough with clingfilm.
- Gently flour the work surface and use a rolling pin and your hands to tease the dough into a roughly 20-30cm pizza.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with a little flour and put the pizza base onto it. Spoon 1-2 tbsp of the passata mix onto the base and top with a quarter (50g) of the grated mozzarella, and ¼ of the halved mozzarella balls and sundried tomatoes. Season, then sit the baking tray on top of the heated baking tray in your oven and bake for 10 mins until the base has cooked and the cheese is melted and golden. As the first pizza cooks, prepare the second pizza, then repeat with the remaining pizzas.
Tip: If you have multiple trays, you can cook two pizzas at the same time.
See more Pizza recipes
View full recipe details