Jamie's sweet potato and sweetcorn pancakes
Jamie says: "Now this is an extra special brunch of fluffy veg-packed pancakes topped with a spicy jalapeño sauce, creamy avo and tangy feta. The pancake batter is all about ratios, so you can measure out the ingredients using the sweetcorn tin – genius."
- Preheat the oven to 130°C/250°F/gas ½. Scrub the sweet potatoes, prick with a fork and place in the microwave on high for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Tip the sweetcorn (juices and all), into a large bowl. Add a tin’s worth of self-raising flour and crack in 2 of the eggs. Add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then whisk to a smooth batter. Break the sweet potatoes into large pieces and add to the batter, then crumble in half the feta and mix to combine.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spoon 4 heaped tablespoons of the batter into the hot pan, shape into thick fritter-style pancakes, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden. Once cooked, transfer to the oven on a baking tray to keep warm while you make the next batch. Keep going until all the batter is used up.
- Tip the whole jar of jalapeños and brine into a blender, squeeze in the juice of one lime and blitz until smooth. Peel, destone and roughly chop the avocado and place in a bowl, then dress with a little of the jalapeño sauce and mix well. Place the frying pan back on a medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then crack in the remaining eggs and fry to your liking.
- Stack the fritters on two plates, top each stack with a fried egg and spoon over the dressed avocado and crumble over the remaining feta. Finish with an extra drizzle of the spicy jalapeño sauce and a wedge of lime, and deliver!
Tip: Leave out the jalapeño sauce for little ones. You can tip any leftover jalapeño sauce back into the jar, screw on the lid and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
See more Jamie Oliver recipes
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer. These pancakes can be reheated from frozen.
View full recipe details