Sal's 'surprise me' cauliflower steaks
When Sal, from our story, met her boyfriend last year, it seemed they were the perfect match – apart from the fact she’s vegetarian and he most definitely isn’t. But, to his surprise, he loved her cauliflower steaks recipe and has since been converted; well, on Thursday nights, at least.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Cut the cauliflower into 4-6 2cm ‘steaks’, depending on its size. Put on a baking tray. Mix 3 tbsp oil with the spices. Season and brush over the steaks. Roast for 18 minutes, or until golden.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Cook the onion and pepper over a medium heat for 7-8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cumin seeds. Cook for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a pan set over a medium heat, cook the grain mix with 400ml (14oz) boiling water and the stock cube, covered, for 15 minutes. Drain and leave to steam in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, blitz the dressing ingredients with 3-4 tbsp water to loosen.
- Serve the steaks with the veg, the dressing, pomegranate seeds and mint on top, and a spoonful of grains on the side.
If you don't have any tahini to hand, try using almond or peanut butter instead.
Blend leftover tahini with some honey, a splash of lemon juice and a pinch of cumin to make a dipping sauce for raw veg.
View full recipe details