Beef and chorizo burritos with avocado salsa
Burritos are a great sharing dish, allowing everyone to tuck right in. The beef is slow cooked in a rich tomato sauce for irresistibly tender results and served with a creamy avocado salsa to balance the chorizo heat.
- Dry-fry the chorizo in a pan over a medium heat, until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper, discarding all but 2 tsp of fat in the pan.
- Return the pan to a high heat, add the beef and stir-fry, until browned all over. Tip the beef onto a plate and set aside.
- Return the pan to a medium heat, add the onion and cook until golden. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 1 minute. Return the beef and chorizo to the pan with the tomatoes and 175ml (6fl oz) water. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the potatoes and beans, and cook for a further hour, adding a splash of water if it looks a little dry. Remove the lid, turn up the heat and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes until the mixture thickens. Season to taste.
- For the salsa, combine the avocado, lime juice and coriander in a bowl, then season to taste.
- To serve, spread each tortilla with 1 tbsp of soured cream, a spoonful of the beef mixture and some salsa. Fold in the sides and roll up.
See more Mexican recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
View full recipe details