Kids will adore the combination of flavoursome chicken drumsticks and sweet chilli and lime coleslaw, there’s plenty to keep them entertained in the cooking process too.
- Let the children mix together the tomato sauce, garlic, soy sauce, honey and ground ginger to form a paste. Next, coat the chicken drumsticks in the marinade, then leave for an hour to marinate.
- While the chicken is marinating, use a sharp knife to finely slice the spring onions (or salad onions) – keeping the white and green parts separate, then shred the cabbage.
- Then, let your little helpers mix the sweet chilli sauce, lime juice, mayonnaise and seasoning in a bowl, stirring until combined. Mix in the carrot, cabbage and spring onion whites until nicely coated.
- Heat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
- Put the chicken drumsticks in a foil-lined roasting dish and roast for 40-45 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time. The chicken will be cooked when it is crispy and golden brown, with no pink showing.
- Arrange a small nest of coleslaw on all of the plates and serve the chicken drumsticks on top. Sprinkle over the reserved spring onion greens before serving.
See all Cooking with Kids recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.