Go on and take a bite of this juicy burger. Stacked high with crunchy pickles, crispy bacon and creamy coleslaw and oozing with not one, but two melted cheeses and topped off with a generous dollop of ketchup, every mouthful tastes amazing. Now that’s what makes this the best burger ever.
- To make the pickled cucumber, put the sliced cucumber in a bowl. Sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt, toss to combine and leave for 15 mins. Rinse and squeeze out any excess water. Meanwhile, heat the vinegar, sugar and mustard seeds in a small pan for 2-3 mins, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and pour over the cucumber. Leave for at least 15 mins, or overnight, if possible. Store the pickle in a lidded container in the fridge until ready to use (it will keep for up to 1 week).
- To make the coleslaw, mix the cabbage, carrot and onion in a bowl. Stir through the mayonnaise, crème fraîche and chopped chives. Season to taste, then cover and set aside in the fridge while you make the burger.
- In a bowl, combine the onion, garlic, thyme and beef mince with the egg yolk, mustard, Parmesan and a little seasoning. Mix thoroughly, then form into 4 thick patties (just smaller than the diameter of the bun).
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high and cook the bacon for 2 mins on each side, or until crisp and golden. Remove and set aside.
- Cook the burgers for 5 mins on one side, until golden. Turn them over, put the cheese on top and close the barbecue lid (or cover with a metal container if your barbecue doesn’t have a lid) to help the cheese melt. Cook for 5 mins, or until the burgers are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, toast the cut sides of the brioche bun halves on the barbecue bars. Put the bottom bun halves on a board, top each with lettuce, tomato, a beef patty, a slice of bacon and a portion each of pickled cucumber and coleslaw. Spread the ketchup and mustard onto the top bun halves, then add to the top of the burger stack. Put a skewer through the top of the burger to hold it all together when serving.
See more Barbecue recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.