Coca-Cola's not only an ideal accompaniment for barbecued food, it’s also the secret ingredient in this flame-grilled dish. Adding worcester sauce and Tabasco® into the mix, gives this succulent chicken a sweet and tangy taste that will leave your guests wanting more.
- Place all the spices into a piece of muslin and tie together so they are secure.
- Pour the oil into a medium-size pan, then add the peppers, onions, garlic, ginger, cayenne, paprika, salt, all the ground spices and the muslin bag. Cook on a medium heat, lid-on, for approximately 20 mins, until it has softened, and then add the tomatoes and Tabasco®. Cook for a further 15-20 mins.
- Add the tomato paste, honey, lime juice, Coca-Cola, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and white wine vinegar, then reduce this on a medium heat until it becomes thick and jammy.
- Remove the spice bag (this can be discarded), then transfer the marinade to a blender and purée til smooth. Pass the marinade through a fine sieve, then leave to cool.
- Put the chicken drumsticks in a shallow dish. Pour over the marinade, making sure all the drumsticks are coated. Turn occasionally.
- When ready to eat, grill the drumsticks on the barbecue or bake in the oven on a medium heat, until the chicken is cooked through with no pink showing (about 20 minutes). Serve with ketchup, if you like.
See more Chicken recipes
As seen in Real Food magazine
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.