I used to live in France and a lovely lady name Francoise shared this recipe with me.
1. Wash and thinly slice the potatoes.
2. Pour the cream and milk into a heavy based saucepan and begin to heat on a low to low moderate temperature.
3. Slice or crush the garlic cloves and add to the cream and milk mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the potato slices to the cream and milk mixture. Stir gently to make sure that all the potatoes are coated in the crea/milk mixture.
5. Heat gently until the potatoes are still firm but have lost that ‘raw‘ taste. This should take approx. 15 - 20 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the base of the pot.
6. Preheat the oven to to 160C/320F/Gas 2.
7. Grate the cheese.
8. Put the potato and cream/milk mixture into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
9. Cook until the cheese is golden and bubbling (approx. 30 - 40 minutes).
10. Serve immediately.
Hints and tips
* If the skins of the potatoes are in good condition, there is no need to peel them - just wash and remove any eyes.
* Pour in the cream first and use the milk to rinse out the cream carton.
* Put the lid on the saucepan to make sure all the potatoes are properly cooked.
* Be careful not to heat on too high a temperature as the cream and milk will boil over.
* Add the salt before serving instead of during cooking, as the potatoes will absorb the salt.
* This recipe is extremely flexible - you can use vary the quantities of any of the ingredients listed according to your own personal taste and it should still be yummy!!
Please note: this recipe has been created and uploaded by a member of the Tesco Real Food online community. Tesco does not test customer recipes so cannot accept responsibility for the content, validate the results or answer queries regarding them.