1. Trim and slice the spring onions, then put them in a large nonstick frying pan with a drizzle of oil over a medium heat. Cook for a couple of mins until softened, then throw in the spinach, turn off the heat, stir to wilt and remove to a plate to cool.
2. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a wide, shallow bowl and season with black pepper. Cut the bread into 2 slices just over 3cm thick, then cut a slit into the longest side of each slice and wiggle your knife inside to make a pocket.
3. Once cooled, squeeze the excess water from the spinach, grate over the cheese, then finely chop; season with black pepper. Use your finger to stuff the cheese and spinach mix inside the pocket – be gentle so you don’t tear it open. Lay the slices in the eggy mixture and gently squash the bread so it soaks up the beaten egg, turning to coat.
4. Put the frying pan back over a medium-low heat with 1 tsp oil, using kitchen paper to spread it around the pan. Place both slices of soaked bread in the pan alongside each other. Cook for 3-4 mins or until golden, then confidently flip over and cook for the same amount of time on the other side.
5. Meanwhile, core the apple and cut into slices (or grate it), then toss with the salad leaves and dress with a little olive oil and lemon juice. Serve with English mustard on the side, if you like.
See more Jamie Oliver recipes