- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Check the fish carefully for bones, then rinse in cold water and pat dry. Bake the cod and salmon in foil with a bit of olive oil for 12-14 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. Take the fish from the parcel, flake the flesh and set aside. Discard the skin.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes, until tender. Drain, allow to steam briefly in the warm pan then mash with half the butter. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft, for 4-5 minutes, then transfer to a mixing bowl and add the mashed potato, flaked fish, egg yolk, parsley and lemon juice. Mix together well.
- Divide the mixture into 8-10 pieces and shape each one into a fishcake. Put the flour seasoned with 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper into one shallow dish, the beaten egg into another and the breadcrumb mixture into a third. Coat each fishcake first in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs.
- Melt the oil with the butter in a pan over medium heat. Cook the fishcakes until golden brown on both sides and warmed right through to the middle: about 8-10 minutes. Serve at once.
Use the leftover mashed potatoes from your Cottage Pie dish for the fish cakes.
The fishcakes can be made ahead and chilled in the refrigerator for an hour or so before cooking. Serve with steamed vegetables.
Cooked fishcakes keep in the refrigerator for 2 days.
See more Fish recipes
Recipe from Little Dish Favourites Cookbook Containing 70 foolproof recipes, including favourites from the award-winning Little Dish range, it makes cooking for your small children a pleasure.