Frances Atkins' combines a meatball with a mini Yorkshire pudding which is perfect as a starter or lunch.
- To make the tomato sauce, start by chopping the tomatoes and add into a pan with the sugar, white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Leave to cook on a low heat for approximately 1 hour. Remove from the heat. Once cooled slightly pass the sauce through a fine strainer and set aside.
- Now onto the Yorkshire puddings; into a large bowl add the flour and make a well in the centre.
- Crack the eggs into the well and whisk together gradually adding 125ml water and milk. Once well combined, pass the entire mixture through a fine strainer and set aside to rest.
- For the dippers, preheat your oven to Gas Mark 5, 190°C, fan 170°C. Peel and chop the large potato into wedges, mixing rosemary with a little oil and place into the oven to roast for 20 minutes.
- To make the breadcrumbs, tear the bread into small pieces and place into a food processor. Pulse until it resembles a fine consistency.
- Back to the meatballs; mix all of the ingredients together and form into 4 balls. Poach gently in chicken stock for 3-4 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- To finish the Yorkshire puddings, pour a little vegetable oil into a muffin tin and place into the oven to heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove and pour the Yorkshire pudding batter into each hole until 3/4 full. Place back into a preheated oven set at Gas Mark 7, 220°C, fan 200°C to for 10 minutes until risen and golden.
- To serve, place the meatballs into the Yorkshire puddings and pour over the tomato sauce. Serve with potato dippers on the side.
See more Canape recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.