Fill up any hungry tums with this lovely casserole, perfect for warming up a chilly evening. Try with some crusty bread for a new family favourite.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, fry the sausages until they are brown all over. Cut the sausages into small chunks and leave aside.
- Add the rest of the oil to a large casserole dish and place over a medium heat. Once the oil is hot, cook the garlic and onions along with a pinch of salt.
- Continue frying until the onions soften but do not colour – this takes 3-4 minutes.
- Place the bacon, fennel (if using), celery and carrot in the dish and continue frying until softened. Next, stir the thyme and chopped sausages into the dish.
- Stir the chicken stock in, and continue to heat until it reaches a gentle simmer.
- When the casserole is simmering, add the balsamic vinegar and redcurrant jelly. Bring to the boil and add the lentils.
- Turn the heat down so the casserole is at a gentle simmer. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes, so that the lentils soften. If you find that the casserole loses a lot of liquid, top up with a little water.
- In a bowl, mix the mustard and crème fraîche together and drizzle over the top.
See more One-pot recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.