- Heat oil in a frying pan and quickly brown the beef mince.
- Add water. Crumble the beef stock cube over the mince and add the thyme. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots and onion and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes or until the mince is tender.
- Stir in Heinz Tomato Ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until soft. Drain well and mash with the milk, mustard and cheese, reserving a third of the cheese to sprinkle on top. Season the mash to taste.
- Add one tsp of cornflour to a little water and mix into the mince to thicken it slightly.
- Season the mince to taste. Spoon mince and vegetables into an ovenproof dish. Top with mashed potato and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cook at 200°C or gas mark 6 for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are golden and mince is hot.
- Serve this with peas on the side.
Tip: Leftover mashed potato is great for making fishcakes.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Reheat until piping hot.
See more Pie recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.