Jamie's spiced veggie burger recipe
Jamie says: "Hero-ing frozen veg, tinned pulses and store-cupboard spices, this burger is quick, easy and full of flavour – serve with sweet potato fries for an added veg boost." See method
- 400g frozen peas and sweetcorn mix
- 2 large sweet potatoes (800g)
- 2 tbsp Cajun-style seasoning
- 50g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 wholemeal burger buns
- ½ a small iceberg lettuce
- 1 x 227g tin pineapple slices in juice, drained
- 8 tbsp cottage cheese
- optional: chilli sauce
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/350°F/gas 4. Place the frozen veg in a sieve and pour over a kettle full of boiling water. Scrub the sweet potatoes, cut in half lengthways, then cut into 1cm-thick half-moons (with a crinkle cut knife if you have one). Place in a large roasting tin and rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 to 2 teaspoons of Cajun-style seasoning. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until soft and gnarly.
- Meanwhile, place the flour and thawed veg into a food processor with a pinch of pepper and pulse to a chunky paste. Dust flour onto a clean surface and sprinkle over 1 tablespoon of Cajun-style seasoning Tip the pattie mix onto the flour, shape into 4 patties (2cm-thick) and dust with seasoned flour.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat with a 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook the patties for 10 to 12 minutes, turning half way and pressing down with a fish slice to get them nice and crispy. Meanwhile, cut the buns in half and char in the pan for a few minutes until nicely golden, and finely slice the lettuce.
- Drain the pineapple rings on kitchen paper, reserving the juice. Once the patties are cooked, move them to one side of the pan and add in the pineapple to char. Mix together 2 tablespoons of the juice with 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar in a small bowl. Add a pinch of black pepper and toss with the lettuce leaves.
- To build your burgers, spread the base of each bun with 1 tablespoon of cottage cheese. Top with a handful of lettuce, then the burger, and a slice of charred pineapple. Add another dollop of cottage cheese and a dash of chilli sauce, if you like. Place the lids on to top and serve with the sweet potato wedges.
Tip: Swap the cottage cheese for a plant-based yogurt to make this recipe vegan
See more Jamie Oliver recipes