- Slice the fresh squid into 2cm rings (fresh squid is available at the fish counter in store) and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the squid and cook over a high heat for 1-2 minutes until just firm and beginning to curl. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Place the squid in a bowl and toss with 2 tbsp olive oil and the red wine vinegar. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Cut the cucumber into batons about 3cm long. Place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave to drain for 15 minutes (this makes it crisper). Rinse with water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Slice the medium tomatoes fairy thickly and arrange on a plate, then season with salt and pepper. Chill the cucumber and tomatoes for 20 minutes. Halve the cherry tomatoes and finely chop the red onion.
- To serve, add the chopped herbs, red onion, cucumber and cherry tomatoes to the marinated squid, tossing to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Arrange 4 tomato slices on each serving plate and pile the squid salad on top. Serve, garnished with flat-leaf parsley.
Jason Atherton, Michelin-starred chef, brings inexpensive, accessible gourmet food into the home kitchen. His creative style and mastery of unique flavours makes his cooking exciting, delicious and highly original.