Just an tried and tested and extremely comforting pie.
Preheat oven to 200 C( 400 F/ Gas 6)
- Put carrots and parsnips in pan with hot stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
Keep the stock to one side.
- Melt butter in frying pan and cook the chicken if raw then remove from pan and put to one side.
-then add leeks celery and onions ( at least 2 ingredients) and fry slowly for 5 mins.
- Add flour to frying pan and stir into juices and butter to make a paste.
-Gradually stir in the hot stock from before little by little to avoid lumps.
- Now let this mix cool down slightly and then add the peas, carrots, parsnips and chicken.
- Now add a dash of cream until required consistancy- remember the juices from the vegtables with make it more runny while cooking in the oven.
- Add mustard powder very carefully. ( do not use too much)
- Then season with salt and cracked pepper to taste.
- Put pie filling into pie dish.
- Top with rolled out puff pastry.
- Brush pastry with beaten egg for crispy topping.
Put in the oven for about 20- 25 mins.
I personally love using left over roast meat and veg and you can put more in there to use up leftover. Parsnips are crucial to this dish.
I serve with a potato and sweet potato gratin, but it goes extremely well with mustard mash.
Please note: this recipe has been created and uploaded by a member of the Tesco Real Food online community. Tesco does not test customer recipes so cannot accept responsibility for the content, validate the results or answer queries regarding them.