Kids always love pancakes and this Marcello Tully recipe provides a tasty savoury twist on the traditional idea of a sweet favourite. It’s also a great way to get your children to love eating spinach and vegetables whilst using leftover turkey as a filling.
- Place a pan filled with water over a high heat and bring to the boil. Cook the spinach in the water for 20 seconds until wilted.
- Strain the spinach, and rinse for 30 seconds under cold water. Squeeze out the remaining juice from the leaves and then finely chop.
- Get the little ones to whisk the eggs and plain flour into a bowl – this is a useful skill for them to learn – and then pour in the milk. If the batter is too thick, add more milk as necessary. Add the chopped spinach and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Wipe the surface of a frying pan with sunflower oil and place over a medium heat. Once hot, spoon a ladleful of the pancake mixture into the pan.
- Gently tilt the pan to ensure the batter spreads evenly across the base of the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then flip it over and cook for another minute.
- Repeat this process until you have used up all of the mixture. Leave the crêpes to cool down.
- Place the plain flour, butter and milk for the white sauce in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Whisk continuously until the sauce heats up and starts simmering.
- Once simmering, add the mustard and cheddar cheese to the pan. Continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted and the sauce has thickened. Take the pan off the heat and leave aside.
- Heat some sunflower oil in a pan over a medium heat. Fry the onions, red peppers and celery for around 3-4 minutes – until they soften but do not colour.
- Place the turkey in the pan, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add a few spoonfuls of the white sauce to bind the mixture.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5, 190°C, fan 170°C.
- Lay the crêpes on a plate or board and get your little ones to spoon the mixture down the middle of each, lengthways. Roll the crêpes up around the filling.
- Place the crêpes alongside each other in a baking dish. Spoon the rest of the white sauce over the top and sprinkle some cheese over the dish if you wish, before placing in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and serve with accompaniments of your choice.
See more Recipes for kids
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.