Learn how to make classic meringues with this simple step-by-step recipe. Once you've mastered the basics of whisking the egg whites and sugar together and baking for the perfect crisp, sugary crust, you can use this recipe to make all sorts of gorgeous desserts. Try crumbling the meringues into an Eton Mess, drizzling with melted chocolate or filling with whipped cream and berries.
- Preheat the oven gas 1, 140°C, fan 120°C. Place 4 room-temperature egg whites into a large, clean, grease-free bowl.
- Using an electric whisk, start whisking at a low speed, increasing it as the whites froth up and swell in volume.
- Once the whites are nice and stiff, gradually add 225g (7 1/2oz) caster sugar, a couple of tablespoons at a time.
- Continue whisking until the mixture is firm and moussey, with a glossy sheen. Then line two baking sheets with nonstick baking paper.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture onto the trays, leaving space between each one. Bake for 40-45 mins, until the meringues are crisp on the outside.
- Turn off the oven, leaving them inside to cook for about 30-40 more minutes (for a crisp outside and a soft inside). Once cool, take them off the paper.
See more Dessert recipes