This show-stopping Victoria sponge cake boasts an impressive 5 tiers and is guaranteed to turn heads. The light sponge is sandwiched between sweet jam, whipped cream and fresh raspberries and strawberries, and has a rustic style that makes it all the more quintessentially British.
- Make and cook each cake separately. Heat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- Grease and line the tin. Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat well. Add the eggs and a third of the flour and beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, vanilla extract and milk to mix to a soft consistency.
- Bake each cake in the oven until it is well risen and cooked in the centre when a skewer is inserted. The 15cm (6in) cake will take about 30 minutes, the 20cm (8in) cake will take 40-45 minutes and the 25cm (10in) cake 1 hour 10 to 1 hour 20 minutes. Leave the cakes until cold. Preferably wrap in foil and leave until the next day when they will be easier to slice.
- If the large and medium cakes have risen slightly in the centre, trim off the peak – just enough that the next cake can sit flat on top. Slice each cake in half horizontally into two or three layers as desired.
- Whisk the cream until thick. Spread each layer with jam and cream. You can put some of the fruits in the layers if you wish. Place the large cake on a board or serving plate. Place the other cakes on top. Decorate with fresh fruits as desired. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
Tip: To make this cake even more impressive try using flowers and herbs to decorate, place these on after sprinkling.
See more Baking recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.