When Sal met her boyfriend last year, it seemed they were the perfect match – apart from the fact she’s vegetarian and he most definitely isn’t. But, to his delight, he loved her cauliflower steaks recipe and has since been converted; well, on Thursday nights, at least.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Depending on its size, cut the cauliflower into 4-6 2cm-thick ‘steaks’. Put on a baking tray. Mix 3 tbsp oil with the spices. Season and brush over the steaks. Roast for 18 mins, or until golden.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion and pepper for 7-8 mins. Add the tomatoes and cumin seeds and cook for 4 mins. Remove from the heat.
- In a pan set over a medium heat, cook the grain mix with 400ml boiling water and the stock cube, covered, for 15 mins. Drain and leave to steam in the pan for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, blitz the dressing ingredients with 3-4 tbsp water to loosen.
- Serve the steaks with the veg, the dressing, pomegranate seeds and mint on top, and a spoonful of grains on the side.
If you don't have any tahini to hand, try using almond or peanut butter instead.
Blend leftover tahini with some honey, a splash of lemon juice and a pinch of cumin to make a dipping sauce for raw veg.