1. Separate yokes and whites from the eggs.
2. Whisk whites until peaks form, slowly add sugar whilst still beating, add yokes (still beating but on slow).
3. Add flour + baking powder and fold gently in (for the dark cake add the coco or chocolate now)
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking forms.
5. Bake at 180 for about 40 min.
6. Whilst the cake cooks begin to make the syrup
7. To make the drizzling syrup place 50ml of boiling water in to a pouring jug and add 2 tsp of caster sugar, stir till dissolved
8. Juice a lemon and add to the jug
9. Add a good dash of vodka and give a final stir
10. Put aside to cool down
11. To make filling follow instructions on the pack (mix powder with milk, heat up as per instructions, put aside and allow to cool down and set)
12. Cakes once baked and cooled need to be cut. Please remove top of each cake so you can have flat work area for building then cut into 2 thin cakes.
13. At this point you will have 4 nice pieces of flat cake – you will need 3 pieces to build your final cake so if you break one during trimming/cutting you can still make the cake!.
14. Each piece now needs to be drizzled with syrup and left in the fridge for 30 minutes to soak.
15. Now the building part begins, place the first piece of cake back into the baking form, spread a generous layer of strawberry conserve and then lay the middle piece (in different colour) on top.
16. Next layer the budyn/confectioners custard over the top.
17. Next a layer of sliced strawberries and place final top piece of cake
18. Once you have finished building you can start on your top decoration – cut fruit and arrange in design of your choosing
19. Finally prepare 2 packs of strawberry jelly, and let cool down BUT watch closely as you need the jelly cool but still pourable, don’t let it set! When cool pour all over the cake until your cake tin is full.
20. Place in fridge for a few hours to fully set.
Please note: this recipe has been created and uploaded by a member of the Tesco Real Food online community. Tesco does not test customer recipes so cannot accept responsibility for the content, validate the results or answer queries regarding them.