This yummy recipe is easy to make, ingredients can be substituted according to taste and it is great for a cold winters evening!
(Note: I got to try a pack of Tesco carrots and parsnips for free as a new member of ‘The Orchard’).
1. Preheat the oven to GM3 / 150C / 325F.
2. Put the rinsed red lentils in a large pan/pot with the vegetable stock, chopped carrots and parsnips and the bay leaves.
3. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for approx. 15-20 minutes (until the lentils are soft and the vegetables are just cooked).
4. Remove the bay leaves.
5. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, dried herbs, dried spices and the nutritional yeast (flakes) and simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Remove from the heat.
7. Spoon a layer of the lentil/vegetable mix into a casserole dish/hotpot, then add a layer of onion rings and then a layer of potato slices. Continuing layering and finish with a layer of sliced potatoes on top.
8. Brush the top layer of potatoes with olive oil and bake in the oven for approx. 1 ½ hours or until the top is just browned and the potatoes are cooked (test with a fork).
9. Serve with crusty bread, rice or enjoy on its own!
Please note: this recipe has been created and uploaded by a member of the Tesco Real Food online community. Tesco does not test customer recipes so cannot accept responsibility for the content, validate the results or answer queries regarding them.