These classic French crêpes make the perfect savoury, vegetarian breakfast option. Get creative and try new fillings depending on what you have left in the fridge. Alternatively, try the classic spinach and ricotta for an Italian twist.
- Heat oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- To make the batter, tip the flour and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and crack in the eggs. Using a whisk, incorporate the flour and the egg, while gradually adding the milk until you have a smooth, lump-free batter. Allow to rest at room temperature while you prepare the filling.
- In a large frying pan, heat the butter, olive oil and a good pinch of salt until foaming. Fry the mushrooms until soft and turning golden. Remove from the heat, stir in half the cheese, most of the parsley, the mustard and the crème fraîche. Mix until combined, then season with black pepper.
- Put the frying pan on a medium heat, add a little sunflower oil then use a pastry brush or piece of kitchen roll to wipe the surface of the pan so that it’s lightly oiled all over. Pour enough batter into the pan so that it’s coated evenly with a thin layer of batter. Cook on a medium-low heat until the pancake looks set and is golden on the underside.
- Use a pallet knife to gently move the pancake to one side then flip over. Alternatively slide the pancake (golden side down) onto a plate, then invert back into the pan. Cook for about 45 seconds more, or until the other side is golden. Stack on a plate while you cook the remaining crêpes, brushing the pan with oil between each one. (The batter should make 6-8 crêpes.) The crêpes can be made in advance and reheated later if necessary.
- Divide the mushrooms filling between the crêpes and scatter over some of the remaining cheese, reserving a little for the top. Roll up each one and pop onto a baking tray. Scatter over the remaining cheese and transfer to the oven for 5 minutes to warm through. Remove, and scatter with the rest of the parsley before serving.
TWIST: Make these meaty by using 125g (4oz) shredded cooked ham and just 300g (10oz) mushrooms.
See more Breakfast recipes