450g baby or small carrots
1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp natural yogurt
½ a bunch of fresh mint (15g)
250g pouch wholegrain rice with haricot beans & quinoa
½ a ripe avocado
1 red chilli (optional)
toasted mixed nuts (optional)
2 flatbreads (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, fan 170°C. Halve any larger carrots, so they all cook at the same time.
2. In a large, ovenproof frying pan, toss the carrots with the cumin seeds, a pinch of sea salt and pepper, 1 tbsp olive oil and the lemon zest. Cook on a medium-high heat for 10 mins, or until starting to colour, stirring regularly. Transfer the pan to the oven for 15-20 mins, or until the carrots are soft.
3. To make the dressing, mix the tahini, yogurt and half the lemon juice with a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Pick and roughly chop the mint leaves, reserving the prettier ones.
5. When the carrots are done, remove the pan from the oven and return to a medium-high heat on the hob. Pull out a few of the crispy carrots and set aside, then stir the grains into the pan until hot through.
6. Tip onto a serving platter and sprinkle over the chopped mint. Squeeze over the remaining lemon juice, then season to perfection.
7. Destone the avocado, then scoop out the flesh into little curls directly over the salad, arranging the crispy carrots on the top. Drizzle over the dressing and scatter with the reserved mint leaves. Serve with finely sliced chilli, toasted crushed nuts and warm flatbreads, if you like.
See more Carrot recipes