Harissa tomato soup with feta toasts recipe
Nothing can beat a bowl of comforting tomato soup on a cold day and our quick and easy recipe includes some harissa paste for a spicy kick. Add the creamy feta toasts and you have a complete meal that's warming and satisfying at any time of day. See method
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g tin plum tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp harissa paste, to taste
- 1 vegetable stock cube, made up to 400ml
- 3 tbsp reduced-fat soft cheese
- ½ lemon, juiced
- pinch of sugar
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 10g coriander or parsley, leaves picked, half finely chopped
- 4 slices sliced sourdough (or other bread)
If you don't have plum tomatoes, use a tin of chopped tomatoes instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large span over a medium heat and fry the onion, celery and carrot with a pinch of salt for 10-12 mins until softened. Stir in the garlic, fry for 1 min, then add the tomatoes, harissa and stock. Bring to a simmer over a high heat, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 10 mins until the veg is very soft.
- Stir the soft cheese into the soup until melted, then remove from the heat. Blend until smooth. Season, then add the lemon juice and a pinch of sugar. Taste and add a little more harissa, if you like. Keep warm over a low heat while you make the toasts.
- Heat the grill to high. Mix the feta with the chopped herbs, remaining oil and some black pepper in a bowl. Grill one side of the bread for 1 min or until golden, flip over, then top with the feta mix, lightly pressing it into the bread with a spoon. Grill for 1-2 mins until lightly golden. Ladle the soup into bowls, scatter with the coriander leaves and serve with the feta toasts alongside. Season with black pepper to taste.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Freeze soup only. In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Soup recipes