1. Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Toss the butternut squash and carrots with 1 tbsp olive oil (1 tbsp for nutrition) on a large baking tray and roast in the oven for 20 mins, tossing occasionally, until cooked throughout.
2. Put the pumpkin seeds in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook for 3-5 mins, tossing frequently, until they start to pop. Set aside in a bowl.
3. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil (1 tbsp for nutrition) in the frying pan, add the rice and toast for 2 mins until it starts to sizzle. Stirring continuously, add the stock, a little at a time, allowing it to be fully absorbed between each addition until the rice has puffed up, is coated in a glossy sauce and has a slight bite in the middle – this should take around 20 mins. Season to taste.
4. Stir through the roasted squash and carrots and any cooking juices, allowing them to break up slightly in the risotto. Add a splash more boiling water if needed to achieve the desired consistency.
5. Serve topped with the toasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of olive oil, if you like.
Tip: *Try using a gluten-free or vegan stock cube.
See more Risotto recipes