Chocolate orange pancakes recipe
Chocolate orange fans will love this easy, speedy pancake recipe, where cocoa powder gives the hit of chocolate and easy peelers provide the sweet, citrus note. It makes a special breakfast or serve up on Pancake Day for something a bit different. See method
- vegetable oil, for greasing
- 4 sweet easy peelers, zested, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 75g caster sugar
- 160g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 20g cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 200ml milk
- 20g unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp Greek-style yogurt
- 30g toasted flaked almonds
No self-raising flour? Add 2 tsp baking powder for every 150g plain flour
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Lightly grease a large, shallow dish and arrange the easy peeler slices inside, in a single layer, with any juice; set aside.
- Heat a wide, heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the sugar and melt without stirring, swirling the pan occasionally. Heat for 3-4 mins more until it’s a dark amber caramel. Pour over the easy peeler slices and set aside.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and the easy peeler zest in a mixing bowl. Make a small well in the middle and crack in the egg. Gradually add the milk, whisking as you do so, to create a smooth batter.
- Melt 5g butter in a large nonstick frying pan over a medium-low heat. Working in batches, spoon 1 tbsp batter per pancake into the pan. Cook for 1½-2 mins until small bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook for 1 min more or until crisp on the outside. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm, then repeat to make 12 pancakes, adding another 5g butter between batches.
- Serve with the yogurt and caramelised easy peeler slices, including any juices. Scatter with the flaked almonds to serve.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Pancake recipes