Creamy mushrooms and chicken with colcannon mash recipe
For a winning chicken dinner, try this creamy chicken with mushrooms. Using herby soft cheese as a clever shortcut, this ready in just 30 mins - add leeks to your potatoes for a hearty colcannon mash on the side. See method
- 450g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 20g unsalted butter
- 50ml semi-skimmed milk
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 340g frozen cooked diced chicken
- 200g 50% less fat garlic and herb soft cheese
- 350g frozen peas
If you don't have any leeks, try using spring or white onions instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and blanch the cabbage for 1-2 mins until bright in colour, remove with a slotted spoon and drain in a colander. Add the potatoes to the pan, bring to the boil and cook for 15-18 mins until soft. Drain well and mash. Stir through the cabbage, the milk and the butter and season with salt and black pepper.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onions, leek, garlic and mushrooms together for 8-10 mins until soft and any liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the frozen chicken, cover with a lid and cook for 6-8 mins until defrosted, stirring regularly. Stir in the soft cheese and reduce the heat to low. Season with salt and black pepper and cook for 1-2 mins, or until the chicken is thoroughly heated through.
- Simmer the peas in a small saucepan for 3 mins until tender. Divide the colcannon between plates and top with the mushroom chicken. Serve with the peas.
See more Chicken recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.