Nectarine and basil galette recipe
This unusual twist on a fruit tart is the perfect summer dessert. The rustic pastry is vegan and gluten-free, made with ground almonds and flaxseeds, then filled with juicy, sweet fruit and the subtle flavour of fresh basil. See method
- 1 tbsp milled flaxseeds
- 150g ground almonds
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 ripe nectarines, stoned and sliced
- 3 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 10g basil, finely sliced, plus extra leaves to garnish
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Mix the flaxseeds with 3 tbsp water and set aside for at least 10 mins.
- Mix the ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Add the flaxseed mix, oil, maple syrup and 1 tbsp cold water, then work into a rough pastry using your hands or a spatula. Wrap tightly in clingfilm and chill for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, put the sliced nectarines in a bowl, along with the sugar and finely sliced basil. Toss to combine, then set aside to soften for 10 mins.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and transfer to a large sheet of nonstick baking paper on a work surface. Put another sheet of baking paper on top of the pastry to prevent sticking and use a rolling pin to gently roll it out into a rough circle that’s about 1cm thick. Carefully peel off the top layer of paper before heaping the nectarines in the centre, leaving a 3-4cm border of pastry around the edge. Reserve any nectarine juices that are left in the bowl.
- Using a palette knife, carefully fold the pastry inwards over the edges of the fruit centre. Don’t worry if it cracks or bits fall off, simply use the palette knife to smooth or reattach. Lift the baking paper to transfer the galette to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins, until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and spoon over the reserved nectarine juices. Cool on the tray for at least 10 mins before transferring to a serving board and cutting into slices to serve.
See more Vegan recipes