20 layers of light, moist pancakes sandwiched with gorgeous vanilla custard, topped with fresh whipped cream and sweet raspberry sauce. This flipping marvellous pancake tower is a real show-stopper that’s sure to impress friends and family!
- To make the custard, put the cream, milk and vanilla seeds into a saucepan and heat to just below boiling. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg yolks and cornflour. Still whisking, pour on the hot milk mixture. Return to the pan and heat gently, stirring until the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon. Pour into a bowl. Stir in the butter. Place a sheet of clingfilm directly onto the surface of the custard. Put in the fridge and chill until completely cold.
- To make the pancakes, put the flour and sugar into a bowl. Add the eggs and half the milk and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the remaining milk, butter and vanilla extract, then pour the batter into a jug.
- Heat a 20cm (8in) non-stick frying pan and brush very lightly with sunflower oil. Pour 60ml (2½fl oz) of the batter into the pan and tilt so the mixture covers the whole surface. Cook for about a minute until golden. Flip the pancake over and cook the other side for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove to a plate. Cook a further 19 pancakes in the same way, stacking them on top of one another as they are done. Leave until cold.
- Place a pancake on a serving dish. Spread over 1-2 tbsp of custard and place another pancake on top. Continue spreading and stacking the remaining custard and pancakes. Chill.
- To make the sauce, put the raspberries and lemon juice in a pan and heat gently until the berries have softened and collapsed. Strain the pulp through a sieve and put in a clean pan. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Simmer gently for 5-10 minutes until the mixture has reduced and is slightly syrupy. Leave to cool.
- To serve, whisk the cream until softly thick. Spoon over the pancake stack. Scatter over the raspberries. Pour over a little sauce and serve the rest separately.
See more Baking recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat