Rhubarb frangipane tart recipe
Sweeter and softer than summer rhubarb, forced rhubarb is perfect for making into tarts. Mixed with delicious frangipane and scattered with flaked almond, this tart is sure to be a hit! See method
- 140g unsalted butter, softened
- 140g soft light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 140g ground almonds
- 40g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 500g pack shortcrust pastry
For the topping
- 300g rhubarb, 250g cut into 4cm pieces on the diagonal
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds, lightly toasted (optional)
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
See more dessert recipes
- To make the frangipane, beat the butter and sugar together for 2-3 mins until light and fluffy, then whisk in the egg and vanilla. Fold in the ground almonds and flour until just combined, then cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge until needed.
- Lightly dust the worktop with flour, then roll out the pastry to a circle about 5mm thick. Use to line a 23cm fluted tart tin, making sure there’s pastry in all the corners. Roll a rolling pin over the top to cut off any excess pastry. Lightly prick the base all over with a fork, then chill for 20 mins. Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, fan 170°C.
- Fill the tin with nonstick baking paper and baking beans, making sure they reach all the corners, then bake for 20 mins. Remove the paper and beans, then bake for another 5-7 mins until the base of the pastry is golden. Set aside to cool completely.
- Spoon the frangipane into the tart and level with the back of a spoon, then arrange the rhubarb over the top into a star shape. Cut the remaining 50g (and any offcuts) into smaller diagonal pieces to fill the gaps of the star. Bake for 45-50 mins until the frangipane is set and lightly golden and the rhubarb is soft. Cover with foil after 30 mins if it looks too dark.
- While the tart is still warm, heat the jam in a small saucepan over a low heat until just loosened. Brush all over the tart, then scatter with the flaked almonds, if using. Leave to cool for 20 mins before serving.