Roasted pumpkin gnocchi recipe
Make your very own gnocchi using roasted butternut squash, then shape them into cute mini pumpkins! Kids will love this as a 'spooky' Halloween dinnertime twist. We've served ours in rosemary butter, but you could use whatever sauce you fancy. See method
- 1 medium butternut squash (roughly 600g prepared weight), peeled, deseeded and cut into 1cm chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300g Tesco Finest 00 flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 80g Parmesan or vegetarian hard cheese, finely grated
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves picked
For the rosemary butter
- 50g unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely grated
- 3 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
If you don't have any butternut squash, try sweet potato
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6.
- Toss the squash in the olive oil until evenly coated, then spread into an even layer on a baking tray and roast for 30-35 mins, tossing occasionally, until very soft.
- Tip the squash into a large bowl and blend with a stick blender until smooth. Add the flour, egg and Parmesan, then mix with a wooden spoon until you have a uniform, soft dough – take care not to overmix it. Put a dessertspoonful of dough into your floured hands and roll into 28 x 25g balls, placing on a lightly dusted surface. Using a length of string, push down on each ball in 4 separate motions to create a pumpkin ridge effect. Push a single rosemary leaf into the top of each pumpkin.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, carefully add the pumpkin gnocchi and boil for 2-3 mins until they rise to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate and allow to steam-dry while you make the rosemary butter.
- Melt the butter in a large pan set over a medium heat. Add the garlic and rosemary, then fry for 1 min until fragrant. Add the pumpkin gnocchi to the pan and use a spoon to coat each with the butter, allowing them to crisp up on the bottom. Squeeze over half a lemon and stir to combine.
- Divide between 4 plates and add a grating of Parmesan and a grind of black pepper before serving.
*If using vegetarian hard cheese.
See more Halloween recipes