Vegan banana and oat muffins recipe
For a healthy snack or breakfast on the go, this vegan muffins recipe is just the thing. Made without eggs or dairy, they still have a tender crumb, moist texture and almost caramel-like flavour from the bananas. Try to use really black bananas as these are the sweetest and best for baking. See method
- 1 tbsp milled flaxseed
- 250g very ripe bananas (with black skins if possible)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 30ml sunflower oil
- 120ml almond milk
- ¾ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g self-raising flour
- 145g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 75g oats
- 75g soft brown sugar
No self-raising flour? Add 2 tsp baking powder for every 150g plain flour
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Mix the flaxseed with 3 tbsp water then put in a food processor with the bananas, vanilla extract, oil, almond milk, vinegar and maple syrup, then blitz until smooth. Alternatively, you can use a stick blender or mash well by hand, although this will give a slightly less smooth finish.
- Put the remaining ingredients in another bowl, reserving ½ tbsp oats and 1 tsp sugar for the topping. Pour the blitzed banana mixture into the bowl and quickly mix using a large metal spoon until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix or the muffins may become tough.
- Divide the mixture between the cases (they will be quite full) and sprinkle over the reserved oats and sugar. Bake for 25 mins, until risen and golden.
Tip: Flaxseed may seem like an unusual ingredient, but when mixed with water it acts as a binding agent in place of the eggs that are usually used in baking.
Allow to cool completely. Wrap well in clingfilm and foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months. Loosen the foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to serve the baked goods warm, place them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes in a moderate oven.
See more Vegan recipes