Vegan 'steak' and chips with peppercorn sauce recipe
Meaty oyster mushrooms take the place of beef in this easy vegan steak recipe from Derek Sarno. Use a Wicked Kitchen rub to add flavour and make sure to press the mushrooms firmly down in the pan for show-stopping 'steaks' with crispy edges and a super-juicy centre. See method
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus 1 tsp
- 250g new potatoes, quartered lengthways
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 2 x 150g packs oyster mushroom cluster
- 1 tsp Wicked Kitchen Lemon, Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 150g Tenderstem broccoli
- 1 tbsp dairy-free spread
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, coarsely ground
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 350ml oat milk-alternative
If you haven't got any new potatoes, try dicing a large white potato instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C and put a large baking tray inside to heat up. Once hot, toss the potatoes in a bowl with 1 tbsp oil and arrange on the tray in a single layer. Pour over any excess oil and place on the lowest shelf. After 5 mins, add the onions to a corner of the tray, stir the potatoes and roast for a further 10-15 mins until the onions and potatoes are golden.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy- based frying pan over a medium- high heat. When hot, coat the base with 1 tbsp oil. Add the mushroom clusters, stem-side down, and put a flat, heavy weight on top (a frying pan or large saucepan works). Press down firmly to flatten the mushroom clusters and cook for 5 mins or until browned. Remove the weight and wipe any liquid from the bottom, then carefully flip the mushrooms using a spatula. Replace the weight and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Remove the weight and sprinkle the stem-side of the mushrooms with half of the Wicked Kitchen Lemon, Garlic & Herb Seasoning and a pinch of salt. Drizzle 1 tsp oil around the pan and cook the clusters, seasoning-side down, for 2 mins more. Season the other side with the remaining seasoning and a little salt, then flip and cook for 2 mins more or until very well browned. Turn off the heat and transfer the mushrooms to the tray of potatoes in the oven to keep warm (if they have finished cooking, reduce the oven to gas ¼, 110°C, fan 90°C to keep warm).
- Steam the broccoli for 5-6 mins until just tender. Let the mushroom frying pan cool, then place over a low heat. Add the spread and crushed garlic and cook for 1 min, stirring constantly, scraping up the caramelised mushroom bits as you stir. Add the ground peppercorns and flour and cook for 2 mins more. Add the oat milk-alternative and cook for 2-3 mins until thickened; season to taste with salt. Serve the warm mushroom ‘steaks’ with the crispy onions, roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli, drizzled with the peppercorn sauce.
Tip: For a fresh take on the 'steak' marinade, try swapping the Wicked Kitchen Lemon, Garlic & Herb Seasoning in the recipe for a sticky teriyaki sauce, Wicked Kitchen Hot & Spicy BBQ Rub or Wicked Kitchen Chipotle Tinga Spice Blend.
See more Plant based recipes