Friday: Aubergine parmigiana subs
75ml soured cream
50g white baton, blitzed to fine breadcrumbs in a food processor
30g plain flour
2½ tbsp olive oil
1 aubergine, cut lengthways into 5mm-thick strips (you should get 4-6 strips)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
10g fresh basil, leaves picked, stalks finely chopped
400g tin plum tomatoes
½ tsp sugar (any kind)
4 white sub rolls
210g ball mozzarella, drained and sliced
½ lemon, juiced
250g sweet & crunchy salad
1. Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Put the soured cream in a shallow bowl and stir in 1 tbsp water to loosen. Put the breadcrumbs and fl our in 2 separate bowls.
2. Dust an aubergine slice in the fl our, coating both sides, then dunk into the soured cream, coating well and scraping off any excess. Transfer to the breadcrumbs and press into both sides until covered. Transfer to a lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining slices. Drizzle the coated aubergine with 1½ tbsp oil and bake for 20-25 mins, turning halfway, until tender, crispy and golden all over.
3. Meanwhile, heat ½ tbsp oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the garlic for 1 min, then add the oregano, chopped basil stalks, tomatoes and sugar. Add 50ml water to the empty tomato tin, swirl around and add to the pan; season. Break up the tomatoes with a spoon and simmer for 15-20 mins until thick and saucy.
4. Heat the grill to high. Split the sub rolls and toast, cut-side up, until golden. Once the aubergine and sauce are ready, add half the sauce to the base of the sub rolls. Divide the aubergine slices between the subs, then spoon over the remaining sauce. Add a few slices of the cheese to each and transfer to the grill for 2-3 mins until the cheese is bubbling. Top each with a few basil leaves, then sandwich with the sub roll tops.
5. Whisk the remaining oil with the lemon juice in a large bowl with some black pepper; toss in the salad to coat. Serve alongside the subs.