Tuesday: Lemon grilled chicken with herby rice salad
600g chicken thigh fillets
2 lemons, zested and juiced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1½ tbsp olive oil
2 packs boil in the bag brown rice
400g courgettes, sliced
15g fresh mint, leaves picked and chopped
15g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
½ cucumber, diced
125g cherry tomatoes, halved
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1. Heat the oven to gas 8, 220°C, fan 200°C. Put the chicken thighs in between two sheets of baking paper and bash with a rolling pin until 1cm thick. Whisk the juice and zest from 1 lemon, the garlic and ½ tbsp oil in a non-metallic bowl and toss in the chicken with some seasoning. Leave to marinate while you cook the courgette and rice.
2. Cut the courgettes into fries and tip onto a shallow baking tray. Drizzle over ½ tbsp oil, season and toss well to coat the veg. Roast for 20-25 mins until golden and tender.
3. Lower the bags of rice into a large pan of boiling salted water, and simmer for 15-17 mins until tender. Drain, cut open the bags into a sieve and rinse well with cold water to cool. Leave to drain.
4. Heat a griddle pan over a high heat until hot. Add the chicken thighs to the pan, leaving any remaining marinade in the bowl. Grill the chicken for 5-6 mins on each side until golden, lightly charred and cooked through.
5. Whisk the remaining 1 tbsp oil, lemon juice and zest in a large bowl and toss in the drained and cooled rice. Fold in the mint, coriander, cucumber, tomatoes and spring onions, and serve alongside the griddled chicken and courgette fries.