Broccoli and courgette quiche recipe
There's nothing like quiche for lunch, and this version calls for courgette and broccoli: two of your five-a-day no less. To make, start with the pastry, then while it is chilling, prepare the filling. Once ready, the quiche can be frozen for up to three months. See method
For the quiche pastry
- 110g plain flour
- 50g cold, diced butter
- pinch of salt
- cold water, to mix
for the filling
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 200g courgettes, halved and finely cut into half-moon slices
- 1 head broccoli, separated into small florets
- 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 275ml double cream
- 50g parmesan, grated
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C, and put in a baking sheet to warm.
- Rub the butter into the flour with the salt until you have coarse breadcrumbs. Add water a little at a time using a round-bladed knife to mix until the mixture just comes together. Form into a ball, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a pan and gently fry the courgette until soft and lightly gold. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and lay on kitchen paper to drain.
- Steam the broccoli florets for two to three minutes until just tender. Roll out the pastry and press it gently into a lightly greased flan tin. Prick all over with a fork and bake in the oven on the baking sheet for 20 minutes until pale gold. Spread the courgettes and broccoli florets evenly over the pastry base.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, cream, seasoning and Parmesan then pour over the vegetables. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the centre is just set and the filling golden. Leave to cool.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Reheat until piping hot.
See more French recipes