Cauliflower and leek cheese recipe
Serve up this creamy 'n' comforting cauli cheese for a winning kids lunch. Serve with peas on the side for extra veg. See method
- 1 cauliflower, broken into florets
- ½ leek, cut into rounds
- 20g buttery spread
- 20g Stockwell & Co. plain flour
- 300ml skimmed milk
- 60g Creamfields mature Cheddar cheese
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 100g Grower’s Harvest frozen garden peas
If you don't have any leeks, try using spring or white onions instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the cauliflower and leek and cook for 8 mins until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt the buttery spread in a saucepan, add the flour, cook for 2 mins, then gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Cook for 2 mins until thickened, then remove from the heat and stir through the cheese. Add the cauliflower and leek to an ovenproof dish, pour over the cheese sauce and grill for 5 mins until golden and bubbling. Sprinkle with spring onion.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the peas and cook for 3 mins, drain and serve with the cauliflower and leek cheese.
See more Food ideas for kids
Cooking for children: There are no reference intakes for children and all of these recipes are based on recommendations for an adult woman's portion size. In children of different ages, there is variation in their energy (calorie) requirements and nutrient recommendations. If you are interested in which portion size is best for your child, you can visit the School Food Standards.