Hasselback courgette bake recipe
The simple technique of making hasselback courgettes is an easy way to add maximum flavour to your veg. In this one-tray hasselback courgette bake, the courgettes are rubbed with harissa and roasted on a smoky tomato sauce, before being topped with crunchy garlic breadcrumbs for an easy vegan dinner. See method
- 4 courgettes
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin borlotti beans
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 75g panko breadcrumbs
- 15g coriander, chopped
If you don't have chopped tomatoes, chop up a tin of plum tomatoes instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Lay each courgette on its side and carefully make deep slits all the way along the courgette – each slice should cut about three-quarters of the way through the courgette and be spaced about 2mm apart. To make this easier, you can place the courgettes in between the handles of 2 wooden spoons, these will act as a barrier and stop the knife from slicing all the way through.
- Add the tomatoes, borlotti beans, onion, half the harissa paste and garlic and seasoning to a large roasting tin and stir to combine. Place the courgettes on top of the sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining harissa, cumin and 2 tbsp of the oil. Brush the marinade over the courgettes, ensuring it gets down into all the slits. Roast for 30-35 mins until the courgettes are starting to soften.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining oil and garlic in a bowl with the breadcrumbs and toss to combine.
- Remove the courgettes from the oven and scatter over the garlic breadcrumbs. Return to the oven for 10 mins until golden and crisp. Scatter with the chopped coriander to serve.
See more Vegan recipes