Jam hearts recipe
Show loved ones just how much you care with these gorgeous jam heart biscuits. Perfect as a Valentine's Day gift or for a special occasion, these simple chocolate biscuits are sure to hit the sweet spot with their vanilla frosting and raspberry jam fillings. See method
- 100g butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 175g plain flour
- 25g dark cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 16 tsp vanilla-flavoured frosting
- 8 tsp seedless raspberry jam
- 50g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Line 2 baking sheets with nonstick baking paper. Cream together the butter and caster sugar, until light and fluffy. Sift the plain flour and cocoa powder into the mixture and combine, then add enough milk until a fairly soft dough forms.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Knead the dough well for 2 mins on a lightly floured surface, then roll out to a thickness of about 3mm. Stamp out 16 x 8cm heart shapes and put onto the prepared baking sheets, making sure that there’s plenty of space between each.
- Take a smaller 3cm heart cutter and stamp out the middle of 8 of the hearts; remove. These can be baked separately, if you like.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 mins, until slightly firm. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cold, spread the whole heart bases with 2 tsp vanilla frosting, then gently spread 1 tsp raspberry jam on top. Put the biscuits with the heart cut-outs on top and sandwich together gently so that the frosting doesn’t squidge out.
- Melt the chocolate pieces in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, pour into a small piping bag, snip off the end and drizzle over the biscuits in a zigzag fashion. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes, or until set. Serve straight away, or package in a box with tissue paper and give as a gift. They will keep for up to 5 days.
See more Valentine's Day recipes